Slider

HELLO AGAIN

Foundations for Pale Skin: Pale Test #1 - Revlon Colourstay 150 BUFF.

Monday 19 May 2014

Revlon Colourstay Foundation 150 BUFF pale skin foundation my pale skin

Revlon Colourstay Foundation 150 BUFF swatch pale skin

Revlon Colourstay Foundation 150 BUFF swatch pale skin

Welcome to the very first post in my new series - Foundations for Pale Skin. 

I get asked on an almost daily basis which foundations are the best for pale skin tones, and this series is going to explore all different types of foundations from varying brands and at all price levels which will hopefully help you to make a decision on which foundation is right for you! 

In universal skin tone terms.. I'm an NC15 in Mac. However, Mac isn't really doing it for me foundation wise at the moment, so i'm on the hunt for a replacement that will be the perefect foundation for My Pale Skin. 

Product:It seemed most fitting to start with a bloggers favourite, the Revlon Colourstay Foundation. Colourstay is often referred to as a dupe for Mac Studio Fix Fluid which i've worn for many years. The two lightest shades Revlon sell in the Colourstay range are Ivory -110 (which is Pink undertoned) and Buff - 150 (pictured) which is yellow/cool undertoned.  As i'm cool toned I picked  up the Buff 150 foundation for combo/oily skin. 

Packaging: First impressions of the product are great, it's in sturdy bottle and has a decent lid. However, what it is lacking badly is a pump. I tried to hack it by attempting to screw on a pump from Mac, however that was a no go as it didn't fit. You're then left with two options for getting the foundation out, pour it and risk the wrath of the foundation gods by having waaaay too much product come out onto the back of your hand... or transfer it to another pumpy bottle. I went with the tipping onto the back of the hand option (in case you were wondering) as I like to live a little dangerously. 

Coverage: It's a medium coverage and quite a good one at that! A little goes a long way and you can certainly build up some layers with it where you need it which is always a good thing. I've noticed that i don't feel cakey wearing it and it doesn't make me oily at the end of the day.

Finish: I find this foundation quite matte on my skin compared to the studio fix fluid which has a more dewy finish for me.

Colour:  Revlon Colourstay in Buff - 150 was the closest match from the two palest foundations for my pale skin, but sadly it's just a little bit too yellow. I can make it work by teaming it with my NC15 concealer, but it's not quite perfect and requires more blending to make it work.

Final Verdict: Although the Revlon Colourstay foundation came very close to failing due to the overly yellow undertone... it has just scraped by to PASS the test. By spending more time blending, I can make it work for every day use however, I wouldn't recommend it for a quick fix.


Thanks for reading the first installment in this series and I'd love to hear your thoughts on this foundation in the comments xxx

13 comments:

  1. I use this in the same shade and I have to do the same and blend it really well to get the right colour for my skin tone. The plastic lid on mine has broken too which is frustrating if I'm going away for the weekend or something. That being said, I do find it lasts on my skin all day and if they sold the perfect shade I'd repurchase it. For now though I'm still on the hunt for the perfect match from the drugstore so I'll look forward to reading the rest of this series. Great post :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. great review! i love how in depth it is. i use shade ivory and think it's quite neutral, but pale enough for my NC15 skin :)

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com

    ps. There's £250+ worth of beauty products up for grabs on my blog, if you're interested! Click here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm NC15 too so I'll be following this series with interest. Although I'm cool toned I find that bizarerely Ivory is a better match for my skin because as you've said Buff is just so yellow!

    Jaq @ www.lazydaysbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colour stay seems to be one of those products that everyone likes in the drugstore range of things

    www.beautyandtheboy.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shame about the yellow undertones, this looks like a really nice foundation! x

    Maddy from UNSTITCHEDD | ASOS or Feelunique £25 Voucher Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm an NW10, but can get away with NW/NC15 with a little dexterity, so I'll be following this new series with interest! Love your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'I like to live a little dangerously' hahaha. I was under the impression that this was a sheer foundation but I guess not! Think I was confusing it with Rimmel. I am now tempted to try this when my current foundation runs out. Loving this series :) x

    beckyisobel.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're both huge fans of this foundation, great coverage and amazing staying power! However the next shade up Sand Beige seems to have different ingredients as it broke us out and set very ashy... Loving Revlon products at the minute though, I believe they're bringing out a dupe of the YSL glossy stains soon!
    - Grace and Charlotte
    http://exploringwardrobes.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! So glad I did not pick it up today!
    P.S.: pink is cool, yellow is warm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I purchased my ColorStay in Asia, which means it comes with a pump. Don't understand why they don't do that everywhere!
    I have excatly the same shade(Buff) and I love it, it's perfect for my skin tone. I find it a bit difficult to apply with fingers though. But with a buffing brush it's great :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you're doing this. It's such a pain in the bum finding foundations that are good for pale skin. I bought Rimmel Match Perfection on a whim a few months back and it turns out that is really good - worth a try!
    Looking forward to whatever you try next

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is my favorite foundation for years now, 150 Buff is the perfect shade for me & I love it :)
    lets follow each other? :) http://lookbeyondbeauty.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sejarah Permainan Bola Tennis dapat di ketahui dengan informasi yang akan di sampaikan secara singkat di artikel ini sebagai berikut.

    Tenis awalnya dikenal sebagai tenis rumput, https://Bolasupreme.web.id dan secara resmi masih ada di Inggris, karena dimainkan di lapangan rumput oleh pria dan wanita Victoria. Sekarang dimainkan di berbagai permukaan.

    ReplyDelete